Sweet Clay Oven Rolls / Sweet Sesame Flat Bread
Clay oven roll is one of the traditional foods in Taiwan. It is a variety of baked flat and crispy bread with sesame on the top, often served with fried breadsticks or egg inside as breakfast. Some people like the sweet flavor one has a thin crispy layer and slight sweetness center. It’s also popular because of the aroma of freshly baked bread and crisp texture. Everyone should try this tasty recipe.
- Rolling Pin
- 470 g all-purpose flour (Plain flour)
- 3 g salt
- 100 ml hot water (90°C / 195°F)
- 200 ml water
- 20 ml vegetable oil
- 160 g all-purpose flour (Plain flour)
- 80 ml vegetable oil
- A little sesame seeds
- To make the dough. Add all-purpose flour, salt, and hot water in a mixing bowl. Roughly stir the flour quickly with chopsticks.
- Add water and oil to the mixing bowl and stir by hand until the mixture forms a dough. Cover the surface with cling wrap and rest the dough for 30 minutes.
- While waiting time, we can make pastry dough. Add vegetable oil to a nonstick frying pan on medium heat. Add all-purpose flour and mix until combined. Place aside.
- After the dough rests for 30 minutes, divide the dough into small pieces (about 35 g) and cut pastry dough into equal parts (about 7 g). Knead the dough into a small circle, place a pastry dough filling in the middle, and wrap the dough around the filling. Repeat the same with the rest of the dough and pastry dough.
- Flatten the pastry dough and roll it up. Flatten and roll up again. Repeat these two steps for each small dough.
- Preheat the oven to 250°C/480°F.
- Roll the dough into a small circle. Place one teaspoon of sugar filling in the center of a piece of dough. Fold in the edges to cover the filling and dip the top into sesame seeds.
- Use a rolling pin to plate the sesame dough into half-inch thick and place on the baking sheet. (Sesame face up).
- Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Serve the Sweet Clay Oven Rolls. Finish and enjoy
Generally, you don’t need to keep it in the fridge. But if your country has a warm and wet climate, I suggest storing it in the fridge and toasting it before you eat.