Fried Sweet Potato Balls
The fried sweet potato ball is a traditional Taiwanese snack. Many tourists who come to Taiwan night market will eat this popular bite-sized snack. It’s crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, and delicious. Let’s do it!
- Food Steamer
- Stainless Steel Strainer
- 350 g sweet potato
- 200 g tapioca starch
- 60 g sugar (Option)
- Peel and cube sweet potato on the plate. Steam sweet potato for 10 min until soft. (Note: You can cook sweet potatoes in a food steamer or instant pot.)
- Mash the steamed potato with fork or potato masher.
- Add tapioca starch and sugar into the mashed sweet potato and continue mix. Mix until a soft dough forms but not sticky.(Note: You can only add tapioca due to different varieties of potatoes. Some of sweet potatos taste sweeter, such as purple-skinned sweet potato.)
- Divide dough into small portions and roll into a thick strip. Cut the dough into small size and roll into a ball.
- Heat the oil until 250°F (120°C)
- Fry sweet potato balls under medium-low fire. Let them sit in the oil for 1~2 min before stirring them. Then stirring and gently press down each ball with wide strainer while frying. Repeat the motion 5~6 times. Sweet potato balls will expand and fried until golden brown.(Tip: Pressing down the ball can form the ball chewy and hollow center.)
- Remove and set the fried balls on a paper towel or drying rack to remove some of the excess oil.
- Serve the fried sweet potato balls. Finish and enjoy